Tuesday, June 4, 2013

World's Best Guacamole


My guacamole is justifiably famous--it's fabulous. If I like you and you live nearby, you've had guacamole at my house and you've loved it.
I make this to go on pan-roasted chicken or pork chops, to just eat with chips as a lazy summer dinner, and of course, having this guacamole there makes any gathering a great party.
I have a few rules of guacamole:
1. No garlic! Garlic does not go in guacamole. It turns the fresh, bright flavor into a funky mush . I love garlic as much as anyone--my kitchen floor is constantly covered in garlic papers. But not in guac. Just do not.
2. No sour cream! Totally unnecessary. When my mom made guac in California back in the 80's, it included sour cream and a package of "guacamole mix".
Now, don't get me wrong--guac this way was still bomb. Was a huge hit at pool parties all over the Chico suburbs. Along with Baked Ziti, this was my mom's signature dish. I can remember dripping some down my bathing-suited chest before I even had boobs. And then scooping it back up and eating it, chlorine-y-ness and all. 
As a result of this early influence, I used sour cream in my guac for the first few years of my adult life because that's how I thought it was done. But when I ditched it, I was glad--you do not need it. Mashed avocados are creamy enough on their own.  Sour cream clogs the fresh, zesty taste of the other ingredients.
And hopefully it goes without saying, but powdered mix? No. No idea what's in these, but unless it's fresh onion, lime, and hot pepper, it doesn't go in guacamole. 
3. Lime! Lime is the key. Even if you just drip lime juice over avocados---delicious. 

So I made this batch of guacamole for the DSST GVR end-of-year party, which I hosted in the backyard. If there is any group of people who deserve a wonderful dinner, it's my coworkers. 


Recipe (this makes a lot): 
6 avocados, diced or mashed 
1 jalapeno, minced (leave the seeds out if you don't want it too spicy--I like to leave it in) 
1/2 a red onion, diced
1 tomato, diced 
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
juice of 3 limes 
salt to taste 

What to do:
Mix it all in a big bowl. Taste--add salt if needed. 
Serve with chips or on top of something. 
Before mixing


Note--feel free to mess with the ratios in this recipe. Do you want a chunkier, more veggie-heavy guac? Just add more tomato, onion, and pepper. Want more tang?--add more lime! 
This is easy and fabulous. Make for your next summer gathering. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment