Sunday, October 27, 2013

Thai Squash Soup


Crockpot of goodness.
Thai Squash Soup with  sriracha-lime yogurt. 

I made this for my and my sister's birthday party. I baked tons of beer-yeast french bread, then made stuff that goes well with bread--bleu cheese butter, melted tomatoes, and soup! 
This was super delicious---spicy and warm and toasty-tasting. Winter squash is so yummy in any preparation, even just roasted plain--but this soup made it just fantastic. The cayenne and ginger gave it a lot of heat and the coconut milk made it rich and creamy. This soup also made me feel smugly healthy and all through the party I bragged to people like "have you tried this soup? It's a flavorful play on seasonal vegetables. I love vegetables, don't you?" Then I would smile condescendingly. Then I ate some deep-fried turkey. 
                                                        

Ingredients 
2 large yellow onions, diced 
1 4 inch piece of ginger, minced or grated 
2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste 
2 butternut or acorn squashes 
1 tablespoon olive oil 
1 can coconut milk (not the light kind) 
3 cups vegetable stock 
2 tablespoons soy sauce 
2 tablespoons fish sauce 
juice of 2 limes 
2 tsp cayenne pepper 

I have enough red curry for the next several years. 

What to do 
Cut the squashes in half and remove the seeds. Roast at 350 for about 45 minutes, or until entirely cooked and soft. Remove and allow to cool. 
Cover the bottom of a soup pot with olive oil and saute the onions and ginger until barely browned, about 15 minutes. Then scoop the onions and ginger into a food processor and blitz them into a smooth paste. 
Add a tablespoon more of olive oil and heat the pot back up. Cook the curry paste in the oil for about a minute. 
Add the onions and ginger back in and mix everything up. Turn heat to the lowest setting. 
Peel the roasted squashes and put the flesh into the food processor. Blend up! Add the squash to the onion-ginger-curry mixture. 
Add the vegetable stock, fish sauce, cayenne, lime juice, and coconut milk. Stir everything together and bring to a boil. You are done!

I put mine in a crockpot to keep warm at the party. 
I suggest serving with chopped cilantro, or sriracha lime yogurt (mix some greek yogurt with sriracha and lime).
Homemade sourdough to go with!




No comments:

Post a Comment