Sunday, March 31, 2013

Shaum Torte

Finished Schaum Torte.
Adam's brother was hosting a Seder, which was super fun. He made matzo ball soup and brisket, both of which were delicious. So we said we would bring dessert, and Adam immediately thought of Schaum Torte, which is one of the two things he likes about Judaism (the other is Seders hosted by Ben). It's essentially a big meringue, served with strawberries and whipped cream.
I had never made this before. But interestingly, in googling about it, it seems to be a Milwaukee / Wisconsin specific food--where Adam's family is from, before NY.
I used the recipe my mother in law sent me:

6 egg whites
2 cups sugar
1 t vanilla
1 t vinegar

Preheat oven to 275. Beat whites until still enough to hold up in peaks; beat in 2 T of sugar at a time, beating thoroughly each time. Add vanilla and vinegar. Grease and flour (with matzoh meal, or just cheat) a 9-inch spring form and fill with the mixture. Bake about 1 hour. It will rise up over the spring form; the peaks will become tan.

After a while you may get bored adding sugar 2 T at a time; you can cheat.

Serve with strawberries (at room temp) and whipped cream.


 Lots of beating eggs! I had been planning to use a whisk, but Adam said that was nuts and bought me an electric egg beater.
Everyone loved it. I will be making this for future Passovers.
The ingredients. And my new mixer!
Cutting up strawberries while watching Nigella Eats online.
Now they need to macerate in the fridge, those pervs. 
Whipped up egg whites and sugar. 
The raw tortes in springform molds, before baking. I floured the molds, then realized this ruined the Kosher-for-Passover-ness of the dessert. Oops. Sorry, Jews. I decided to just not mention it.
  
Out of the oven! Crusty, sugar, soft in the middle. Delightful.
I forgot to take a picture of the finished torte all dressed up with strawberries and whipped cream. Alas. You will have  to use your imagination.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment