Sunday, March 31, 2013

Garbanzo Salad with Lemon-Balsamic Vinaigrette

Summery deliciousness
I have been making this recipe in various iterations for years and years. It's great.
As I've said, I love salads without lettuce because they don't get slimy or soggy when left in the fridge for a few meals in a row.
This is also one of my favorite things to make on a Sunday, then bring for lunch all week.The weather is warming up and this is the perfect summer lunch.
The ingredients.

Ingredients: 

2 red bell peppers, chopped 
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
3 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half (I used both red and yellow ones)
1 jalapeno, diced (I left the seeds in because I like things spicy. If you don't want heat, don't use the seeds) 
3 cans of garbanzo beans, rinsed
Juice of 2 lemons 
1/2 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced 
2 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar 
pinch of salt 
pinch of sugar 
Shredded or crumbled cheese (I used parmesan but feta goes great with this)

 To make the salad:
Mixed the bell pepper, spring onion, red onion, tomatoes, jalapeno, and garbanzo beans in a big tupperware. 

To make the dressing: 
Mix the oil, lemon juice, garlic, Balsamic, salt and sugar in a jar, then shake vigorously. Taste and see if it needs more seasoning. 

Then: Put the dressing on the salad. Sprinkle with cheese. Eat!


Tiny tomatoes are so delicious. Many of them were eaten during the slicing process. 


 
These lemons were enormous--too big for my squeezer.
My dressing-making jar. An old olive jar I saved. I find that shaking makes for more effective emulsifying than whisking.
All done!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment