Monday, April 1, 2013

Beer-brined pork chops

I made these with the beer we had on tap: a Russian Imperial Stout. We decided on this beer in the dead of winter, then made a beer before it--a whiskey-barrel vanilla porter--that turned out disappointing. It took us months to drink that beer (I thought it tasted weirdly like Vanilla Coke). Long story short, we now have a beer that could keep a Yeti warm and drunk in an ice cave. But it's 70 degrees--barefoot on the lawn weather. But: This Russian winter beer is really good. We drink it anyway.
And I made pork chops with it. That was the point of the whole story.
SO: Beer-brined pork chops! These came out pretty good.

The ingredients: 
Pork chops! ( I only made 2. You can stick a bunch more in if you want) 
2 cups dark, wintery, malty beer. I used our house brew, but I am sure whatever you want will work. 
1 cup water 
1/4 cup salt 
1/2 cup brown sugar 
A head of garlic, minced. 
1 tablespoon mustard 

How-to:
Combine the beer, water, sugar, salt, garlic and mustard. Mix. 

Add the pork. Allow to brine for at least 2 hours. I used a big ziplock for this.
Grill on a hot barbeque for about 8 min per side. For extra flavor, brush extra brine as it cooks. 

Brining in BEER.
One side
Then the other!

I made these with collard greens and potatoes. Will include those recipes sometime soon. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment