Sunday, April 7, 2013

Thai Slaw

I made this slaw to go with Adobo Chicken, but I think it would go great with any vaguely Asian meat main dish. It's crunchy and bright and acidic, so it was a perfect counterpoint to the soft, rich, fatty adobo stew.
This is a STRONG flavor: the fish sauce makes it funky and salty. Personally, I LOVE fish sauce and dishes where it stands out, like in my all-time favorite food, the pad-thai pig ears from Euclid Hall. In fact, this dressing reminded me of them, and got my brain working in all manner of fish-saucy evil directions: thai chicken wings? Thai-glazed oxtail? Thai pork cracklings over noodles? Look forward to incarnations of this dressing in future, fat-tastic situations.
But I would recommend people with more timid palates steer clear.
I, however, will be making it over and over.
The ingredients. I forgot peanuts at the grocery store, so I went and bought some snack ones from the bodega on our corner. Also: I neglected to include the jalapeno.
Recipe (adapted from the nytimes)
Put shredded Savoy cabbage (about 12 cups) in a large bowl with 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, i chopped jalapeno and 1 cup chopped mint. Combine 3 tablespoons fish sauce, 1 to 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon neutral oil, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, the juice of 2 limes; whisk to dissolve the sugar. Or shake like crazy, if you made your dressing in old olive jars like I do. Add the dressing to the cabbage and toss. 


Again: lettuce-free salads are the BEST. 

No comments:

Post a Comment